Monday 14 May 2012

Aw Man, Turns Out My Draw Something Addiction is Slightly Sinful

So I've been playing the iphone/Android game Draw Something. Totally addicted. I've collective enough points to buy two colour schemes and have shared 79 games with one player all within about two weeks.

It's a really cool game and I get a kick out of watching how my drawing and that of other players improves over time. It also helps massage my right brain's creative skills.

It's basically a game that gives you three choices of what to draw - then you draw what you've chosen and hope the other person playing guesses correctly. I had no idea how much fun I could have.

But imagine my surprise upon learning about Draw Something's dark history.

Draw Something was created by OMGPOP, which a large and well known company called Zynga acquired.

When Zynga acquired OMGPOP it offered jobs to all the developers that worked there. One guy said 'No' because he thought Zynga was evil. He argued as a company it didn't respect its customers or developers and was just out to make money. He also couldn't get a guarantee that Zynga wouldn't force him to take a game he had made and owned (which was making hardly any money at all) off the market so it didn't compete.

But is Zynga evil? This article says maybe not, as so many people play their popular games, like FarmVille.

Check it out and decide for yourself. But for me, playing Draw Something is going to be that little bit less enjoyable.. though I don't think I'll stop my sinful indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment